Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fire and Earthquakes


What words can I use to describe the past three weeks? Incredible? Convicting? Stirring? Empowering? I think all of these would be excellent adjectives to use. God did some amazing things and brought much glory to His name. Our last few days touring Philidelphia and Washington D.C. with Dr. Millard were also very educational, as she told us that many of the things we as Americans treasure can be traced back to Christian roots. However, I think the thing that God most impressed on my heart during this trip is that we can trust Him. He is God and He is Sovereign. He knows what He is doing, and He has all the answers to any of our questions.
A passage that comes to mind is 1 Kings 19:11-12 which says "Then He said, 'Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord.' And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind, an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire, a still small voice."
During the last three weeks, our team experienced many instances of wind, earthquake, and fire, but it was in the moments of what seemed to be silence that the Lord spoke to me. I was really encouraged during my devotional times, and it was through these times I believe God was teaching me to listen for His voice. As we were talking to people, I didn't always have the answers, but I know God does. I believe one of the reasons He even brought me on the trip was to teach me to search for truth in Him. My prayer for you is that you will also know that you can trust God and that it is in Him we find our peace. Sometimes it feels that we are in the midst of a fire or an earthquake, but please do not lose hope! His voice will follow, but we must be listening.
-Jessica

1 comment: